August 1, 2011

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Field Trip


Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge (JBWR) is a "birder's paradise". It is home to over 330 bird species, native reptiles, amphibians, small mammals, butterflies, horseshoe crabs, and more. It was added to the National Park System in 1972 and is its only wildlife refuge. Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge's "9,155 acres contain diverse habitats including salt marsh, upland field and woods, several fresh and brackish water ponds, and open expanse of bay" (http://nyharborparks.org).
Jamaica Bay, where the refuge is located, is a prime migratory route along the Atlantic Coastal Flyway. It is home to many species of special concern and hosts a diverse population of flora and fauna. The bay is located "on the southwestern tip of Long Island, in the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, New York City, and the town of Hempstead/hamlet of Inwood. The bay connects with Lower New York Bay to the west through Rockaway Inlet and the westernmost of the coastal lagoons on the south shore of Long Island" (http://en.wikipedia.org).
Map of Jamaica Bay. www.nps.gov/gate
This particular bay is a vital part of New York's ecosystems. It continues to be in danger due to water quality, pollution, urban development, loss of wetlands, environmental changes, and more. In 2005, Mayor Bloomberg signed a city council bill which required the DEP to create a watershed protection plan for the watershed/sewershed of Jamaica Bay. This plan aims to find solutions for maintaining and protecting the bay. Some of the potential solutions listed are: 
wetland restorations, shoreline and upland habitat restoration, invasive species control, stormwater management, improvements to existing water treatment facilities, CSO remediation and sewer separation, public education, and increasing circulation in the Bay.(http://www.nyc.gov)
Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge has educational programs and volunteer opportunities to help educate the public and build awareness so that we can continue to coexist with nature in NYC. 



Field Trip July 14, 2011:
My day at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge far exceeded my expectations. Knowing that I would miss the class trip due to a previously planned vacation, I went on my own trip early on July 14th. Initially, I was a little nervous to go alone but I ended up feeling gracious for the solitude I had during my time there. 
I couldn't have chosen a better day for my trip! The weather was sunny, gorgeous, and breezy. I arrived at JBWR right as it opened and was greeted by a knowledgeable and friendly park ranger. She gave me a map and basic guidelines for touring the West Pond Trail. 

After spending some time in the visitor center, I made my way to the trail. A chipmunk scurried across the trail right in front of me as I began my walk. Tree swallows flew overhead and I immediately spotted a red-winged blackbird (one of my favorites!). Before the trip, I couldn't have even imagined how absolutely stunning and full of life JBWR actually is. With the plethora of birds flying around, wildflowers, ponds, etc., I didn't know whether to look up or down.
The Osprey nest caught my eye as I moved forward on the trail. This was my first time seeing Osprey. They are a magnificent sight. It was great to see them nesting alongside the large, low-flying planes of nearby JFK airport. As I attempted to capture a good picture of the birds and their nest, I quickly realized that I needed a better camera with a proper zoom, and lens.
Osprey Nest



As I continued my walk, I saw that Common mullein were abundantly spread throughout the trail. I had only seen a few common mullein on the trail to Breezy Point during my Piping Plover trip. Having already chosen this species as part of my nature journal, I was happy to capture some more photos of them. This non-native weed is difficult to manage once it grows and can quickly take over an area of land. 

Common mullein - Verbascum thapsus

To my right, I could see a plethora of Canada geese. Although you cannot get very close to the pond, the park has plenty of benches to sit and take in the scenery. I was able to capture a few geese flying over the trail towards the bay.
Canada Geese - Branta canadensis

Continuing along the trail, there was a graceful, Great Blue Heron walking in strides along the bay. I tried to get a more detailed picture but was unsuccessful.
Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias


The rest of my walk along the trail included beautiful flowers and succulents, nesting boxes, Glossy ibis, poison ivy, and more. I was on the lookout for a Diamondback Terrapin turtle, which I didn't see this time around. The park manages their nests well and there were many protective cages around to keep predators away from the eggs. I can't believe it took me almost 14 years to visit JBWR! Yet another reason why I really appreciate taking this class. I definitely plan on visiting again and again and can't wait for the change of seasons to bring even more variety of species to the area.
Below are more photos from my trip:





Beach Plum - Prunus maritima

Trumpet Vine - Campsis radicans
Queen Ann's Lace - Daucus carota

White Pine Tree - Pinus strobus


Eastern Prickly Pear - Opuntia humifusa
Interesting pod plant - could not i.d. this plant


Spider web near Blind Pond
Lookout center for grey tree frogs @ Blind Pond


Blind Pond - I could hear the grey tree frogs but didn't see any.


On my way home from JBWR, I pulled off of the Cross Bay Parkway and discovered a number of Canada geese. They walked right up to me and continued to follow me around. I'm assuming they wanted to be fed...






No comments:

Post a Comment